Monday, June 22, 2009

11 months to go!

I've said before that I don't want this to become a wedding blog, but I don't see the harm in the occasional update. Since we're down another month and I've been wanting to write about a few things anyway, I figure it's time for a check-in.

Not much measurable progress has been made since I first wrote about plans for the big day. Catering was on hold while my Mom was out of the country for a church trip to Russia for a week and a half. We had a bunch of meetings and tastings scheduled for mid-May, after her return, but due to a medical emergency or three Mom only just got back to our house this past Saturday, and she has a long recovery ahead of her. Needless to say, progress has been slow during this family crisis.

Nevertheless, progress has been made. Jon and I managed to whittle down our venue's preferred vendor list and select a caterer: we're going with Bold American, the catering arm of Fifth Group restaurants (South City Kitchen, La Tavola, Ecco, etc.). It just so happens that the sales manager we worked with was recently married herself -- you can see her mind-bogglingly beautiful wedding photos (taken by Jesse and Whitney, who will be shooting our wedding!) here. We also have a couple of friends in common, randomly. I know she'll be a ton of fun to work with, so I'm really excited about that decision.

We're currently in the midst of DJ scouting, which so far has been uneventful and doesn't merit much space here. I'm going to two of those ridiculous, massive bridal events with my old friend and bride buddy Shelley this weekend, so I may come back with some new leads... so far the DJ group we're in talks with has two strikes. One more and they're off the list!

In developments less directly related to the wedding, Jon and I found an apartment to share! We weren't being terribly active in our looking, but were keeping our eyes peeled for opportunities in prime locations. Sure enough, one turned up. We have yet to sign the lease, but, in theory, we're set to move in July 17 or so. It's the top floor of a lovely home in Virginia-Highland, owned and occupied by and architect/designer, and it's even got a wee nook that Little Man can claim for his own. More on that later as things get sorted out.

Forthcoming will be ruminations on my hunt for a lovely wedding dress -- stay tuned!

(Geez, this was longer than I intended it to be...maybe I should start a wedding blog. All the kids these days are doing it, so the market's a bit glutted, but word on the street is that wedding blogs can forge some helpful connections and perhaps save or even earn a blogger some money... Things to ponder. As if I needed more.)

No comments: