Friday, March 27, 2009

Illusions, Michael

Now comes the part that most people are interested in: the ring. (I promise this is the last engagement-related post. But I had a good title for it so I had to!) Jon's mom gave him her engagement ring on the sly when we were out in Idaho a few weeks back, and he has since (obviously) passed it on to me.

One of my favorite things about it, aside from the fact that it belonged to Jon's lovely mother, is that it's an "illusion" setting. Tricky! What is an illusion setting, you might ask? Well. As the Antique Jewelry University's website says, "An illusion setting is a prong setting designed to make a diamond look bigger than it actually is. This is accomplished by a ring of metal surrounding the girdle of the diamond and often bright cut. This ring diffuses the outline of the stone which in turn causes it to look larger."

FOOLED YOU.

2 comments:

abby j said...

a) this is not your last engagement post.

b) i am impressed by the cleanliness of your pinky fingernail!

f) you're a gimp

Kathleen said...

it's the last of my process-of-engagement posts, probably not state-of-engagement posts :)