Wednesday, September 03, 2008

Last night... was the most incredible night of my life

By last night I mean, of course, this morning. This morning was among the most incredible mornings of my life, and not just because I successfully medicated my cat and have nary a scratch to show for it. No, today marked the grand opening of the Waffle House Museum, located in the restored original Waffle House restaurant in Avondale Estates, Ga. (just over the line from Decatur), and I was on hand to help celebrate.

Merely being witness to this event would have been enough, but by noon I had crossed another three names off my list of People I Must Meet In My Lifetime: Tom Forkner and Joe Rogers Sr., founders and patriarchs of the Waffle House chain, and S. Truett Cathy, developer of the chicken sandwich made famous by his Chick-fil-A restaurants. Three cornerstones of Southern fast food in one day! My little heart was bursting with joy, as you can see.

Tom and me!

Joe Sr. and me, outside the restored original restaurant.
(After we took this photo, he kept his arm around me and
said to his buddy, "If I'm gonna die, I might as well die
in the arms of a good-lookin' woman!" Score.)


Truett and me inside the museum. Bonus!
(He also gave me a signed copy of his latest book,
"How did you do it, Truett?" and a coupon for a free
chicken sandwich. I have totally been doing something right.)

No comments: