Thursday, January 24, 2008

Suggested viewing/reading

1) "Lester Hobbs: Free Radical Hunter" in the POM Tea Video Contest

From 140 video entries into the POM Tea video contest, my brilliant friends' spot made the cut to the top 10 finalists. You can watch it here:

Now you should go immediately to http://www.pomvideo.com/ and vote for it! There are also three other award categories: Best Comedy, Most Original and Best POM Spirit. To vote for this masterpiece of short-form cinema, the YouTube username is "brockriggs" and the video title is "Lester Hobbs: Free Radical Hunter" -- this could be their big break!



2) Love is a Mix Tape, by Rob Sheffield

I read this a year ago when it first came out and loved it. I laughed a lot, I cried a lot -- the latter on a half-empty, snowy midnight Greyhound journey from New York City to Syracuse, awkwardly spotlighted by the ceiling-panel reading lamp. That was a sort of embarrassing/quite draining undertaking. Whew.

Tonight Sheffield came to Wordsmiths Books in Decatur, which is fast becoming one of my favorite places in town. He read a couple of chapters to a good-sized crowd (a few of his family members included) and then signed books as a local band geared up for an in-store set. As he read, I couldn't help smiling and laughing out loud, and I resolved to revisit Love is a Mix Tape -- just as soon as my sister finishes it, because I lent it to her as soon as I got home tonight. It's a quick, engaging must-read for anyone who loves pop culture, who has ever thoughtfully compiled a mix tape (or CD, or playlist, as the case may be) or who generally enjoys reading about the sometimes complicated, sometimes not-so-complicated lives of twenty-somethings -- and especially if you're a twenty-something yourself.

Me, Rob Sheffield and Jon at Wordsmiths

That's all for tonight... more soon.

1 comment:

Brock said...

Thanks for the free publicity.

When I first saw that picture of you at Wordsmiths, I somehow didn't recognize you, and immediately thought, "Hey, I know that guy!" Then I felt like an idiot.

I think it was because I forgot I was reading your blog. So I felt like an idiot again.