Thursday, February 15, 2007

SNOW! Also, the best $100 I ever spent.

I walked to school today.

Uphill.

In the snow.

But that's where the similarities stop for me with the old parents' tale. (I only walked one way - a bus starts running past my apartment at 5 p.m. on Thursdays - and, thank the lord, I was not barefoot.) Much like running on sand, soldiering uphill through knee-deep snowdrifts with a shoulder bag full of books and a laptop is hard work, and I arrived at my 11:30 appointment eager to peel off my downy layers to get at least to the sweat-soaked cashmere underneath. Delightful.

Here's a taste of what the rest of my leisurely stroll campusward looked like:

Syracuse: where cars come to die.

Looking up the street toward the library. What, you can't see it?

Just as a reference, the snow would hit me a couple of inches above the knee...

When dealing with such inclement weather, it's important to be well-equipped. Two weeks ago, I bought these boots on a whim, because they were literally following me around town - I saw them on Marshall Street, then later that week at a Thai restaurant on Erie boulevard - and my previously purchased winter footwear was KILLing my feet. And what do you know, they were on sale at the shoe store near campus!

BOOTS

I can see now that it was clearly meant to be. Nobody in their right mind would go tromping through unplowed sidewalks (see first picture above) without a trusty set of boots like these.

It's a good thing I like them, because I sense that we're going to be spending a lot of time together.

3 comments:

Carl Yost said...

"Syracuse: where cars come to die"

C'est vrai! :-) I haven't even been out to see the frosty burial mound beneath which my car lies. So sad.

Jon Ross said...

I just checked on my car. I won't be driving anywhere for a while.

Kelly said...

I love those boots!!!