Friday, December 08, 2006

Grammy noms!

Yesterday the powers that be announced nominees for the 2007 Grammy awards. The list of pop and rock nominees is pretty unoriginal - and I must say I find it unfortunate that James Blunt got so many nods - but there are a few interesting ones stuck in there...

But my real point in this post is about the classical nominations. My former choir director and dear, dear friend Pam Elrod is featured on not one, but TWO nominated recordings! Conspirare, an Austin-based choir that brings together professionals from all around the country under the direction of Craig Hella Johnson, was nominated for best choral performance. This same recording, along with the ASO Chamber Chorus' recording of the RVW Mass in G and other a cappella delights, was nominated for best classical engineering. Sweet!

In addition to that, the women of the ASO Chamber Chorus were recognized for their recording of Golijov's Ainadamar in the opera category, and Robert Spano's name was all over the list of nominees as well, notably as a champion of new music.

Unfortunately, all of these ASO recordings were made just before I joined and I was unable to participate. But I'm so excited for the hometown crowd, and especially Dr. Smelrod (aka the aforementioned Pam). Now the waiting begins...

2 comments:

Raquel Laneri said...

I agree; James Blunt sucks. And I'll be rooting for your classical friends.

Dante A. Ciampaglia said...

I'll be rooting for Prince! "3121" is a great album, and it has been largely (and unfairly) ignored, I think.