Thursday, November 16, 2006

Dude, I totally miss you

I went to see Tenacious D in the Pick of Destiny tonight, bringing only the expectation that it would be hilarious - and it was so, so much more. Jack Black is not only a master of comedy, he's also a totally kickass rock singer! (note to self: purchase soundtrack asap)

The songs were all classic D material, the plot was logical (by Jack Black movie standards) and interesting, and it was chock full of inappropriate and over-the-top sexual humor - stuff that, if it were anybody else delivering those lines, you'd either be offended or totally grossed out. But somehow, as ever, JB manages to pull it off and keep the audience laughing with him.

As in most movies of this ilk, there are a couple of high-profile cameos - these were pretty stellar (and included Tim Robbins, Ben Stiller and Meatloaf). But the most impressive part of the entire movie comes at the beginning, when we see Jack Black's character, JB, at home as a child. I literally thought they had somehow shrunk Jack Black down to 10-year-old size and had him playing his own childhood movie self. Troy Gentile is a dead ringer for Jack Black. It's truly remarkable. (As it happens, young Troy has previously been Black's flashback self, in last summer's Nacho Libre.) THe young Kyle Gass is also exceptionally well-cast, though the audience sees considerably less of him.

I'm not sure I can form coherent thoughts beyond these because I'm still in shock from the movie's sheer awesomeness...So I'll just leave it at this: Go see this movie IMMEDIATELY.

Because, holy hell, it's amazing.

1 comment:

Reel Fanatic said...

I wasn't sure I would be able to run with the Tenacious D thing for an entire movie, but after seeing the first six minutes online, I became a true believer .. I'm glad that, at least for you, it lived up to all the hype