Thursday, August 10, 2006

Opera + Beer = Brilliant!

In keeping with this week's theme of opera, I wanted to post this in case y'all missed it in Sunday's times. It's a short piece about "Opera on Tap," which is basically an open mic night for young opera singers at a bar in NYC once a month. I love this idea! Bring opera to the people in a relaxed environment, and have a drink while you're at it.

Now, this is clearly not for the stick-in-the-mud paranoid diva types - they probably sit at home every Thursday night steaming their vocal cords before turning in around 10 p.m. And there's nothing wrong with that - frankly I admire their drive and dedication, I just could never do it. But programs like this can help enliven opera for a lot of people, not the least of whom is the performer - because, let's face it, the church/crappy auditorium circuit can get a bit tired, and it's hard to connect with the walls of a practice room. I imagine this is more about having fun and getting in front of an audience - an opportunity that can be hard to come by for aspiring singers in New York - than being hypercritical of each other.

Oh yeah! And I also know one of the singers quoted in the article. How cool am I?

Anyway, with luck, I'll get to drop in on Opera on Tap when I'm in the city sometime this year...I'll let y'all know how it is!

2 comments:

abby j said...

"They probably sit at home every Thursday night steaming their vocal cords before turning in around 10 p.m."

I can just see it. With their cats.

Also, silly, you are not cool--the people quotes in the Times are cool!

Jon Ross said...

This kind of sounds like the DIY opera idea I was discussing with Dave. Opera in the basement of a suburban house (or better yet, in the garage), complete with sub-par beer and lots of "I'm too cool for mainstream opera" high school kids. It would be a regular opera that felt like a punk show.